Thursday 8 March 2012

Basics Layout Tutorial - Adding Dimension

Hi Everyone,
Its Olga here....I am so proud to present our first Step by Step- Basic Layout Design created by the ever so talented Georgia...She has created this magnificent layout using the Bo Bunny -Country Garden Collection in great detail for us all to follow and she has included some great tips and ideas to add dimesion to your layouts..
All the papers and embellishments that she has used are available on the website..http://www.sassyscrapper.com.au/
Great work Georgia..xxx

Happy Scrapping
Olga..xxx


From Georgia:
I wanted to demonstrate some basic techniques that can add dimension to a simple 2-D layout. So first I will start off by showing you how I created the basic version of my layout.



To create the basic layout you will need:

1 x Bo Bunny Country Garden Combo stickers
1x Flower from Manor Flowers 
1 x Chipboard Flourish



1. I have cut a 11" x 3" strip from 'Garden Letters' and a 4" x "9 strip from the reverse side of 'Garden Dot'  , inked the edges using my blending tool with distress ink and placed on my backing page which is 'Garden Stripe'.


2. Cut a 8.5" circle from the remainder of  'Garden Letters' and a 4.5" x 10" rectangle from 'Garden Dot'. Ink edges again.


3. Cut a 9" x 2.5" strip from 'Weathered' with the butterflies at bottom of the strip. I have traced around one of the shaped die cuts from the 'Noteworthy" pack, cut around it and inked the edges.


4. Cut out one of the 6" x 6" elements from the 'Cutouts', inked and placed at an angle. I have then added a chipboard flourish. The A2Z doodlets are perfect for this.


5. I have added my photo, title from the 'Combo Stickers', a butterfly from the 'Noteworthy' pack and a smaller butterfly cut out from 'Weathered'.

So that is our basics layout completed. Now I thought I would show you a few techniques to help create dimension that you can apply to any layout.

Adding Dimension

 Use punches to create shape in your paper layers. Here I have used just a small corner punch however there is a huge range available that can go right around a page to creating detailed strips. I love the Martha Stewart range for both quality & design.


Masking is a really simple and fun way to add dimension. There are lots available on the market or you can get creative and create your own with chipboard or die cuts. Here I am using a paper doily with ink. You can also use mists or paint dabbers.


Stamps! I know stamps can make beginner scrappers nervous as once they are on, there is no going back. You can always stamp your image onto acetate first which will allow you to play with placement on your page before making it permanent. Also distressing...a super easy and free way to not only add dimension but texture too. I have also been inspired by the stitching print on my background paper and added a zig zag stitch to my border creating texture.


Go 3-D! Instead of just gluing your elements down, try adhering with self adhesive foam dots or tape. This will help lift your elements off the page. Use 3-D embellishments. Here I have added a beautiful Manor House flower and also bent the wings of my butterfly upwards to create the appearance of movement.

So here is before and after...


I hope you have found this helpful and have lots of fun creating!

2 comments:

  1. Hi.. oh wow.. this is amazing.. i love how you have shown the layers appearing and the end result.. beautiful... thanks for all the hints!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the 2 different eg's at the end.... it's good to see the differences & it's such a clear and easy tut to follow...TFS:):)

    ReplyDelete

09 10